My Instagram Feed

Sunday, September 26, 2010

Biscuits & Chili

I'm a huge fan of a quick and easy meal these days. We're working so hard on our little side project (seat upholstery) I don't have any spare time. I mean it. 1 day off in 8 weeks. I work EVERYDAY. Not always a full day on weekends, but a few hours at least. I'm wearing thin, but I refuse to go back to the bad habit of frozen dinners. I think they helped put me in the hospital in April. This is a favorite anyhow, and my love rekindled when we were in Canada. A friend had a chili cook-off, and we each brought our version of chili along. It was amazing! Everyone had a different interpretation, and all were so good! I still use my own basic recipe, but I've since been adding the things I like from the other recipes. I add either brown sugar, or molasses, or a combination of the two. I also add more vegetables, and I get a few toppings ready as well. And baking biscuits to go along makes for such a comforting meal.


Chili Recipe:  Here is my original chili recipe, but in this photo, I added a can of corn, and about 2 tbsp of brown sugar. I've also done 1 tbsp of brown sugar, and 1 tbsp of molasses in the past. Other roast veggies can be added too. I sometimes chop up some red pepper (red capsicum, for the aussies) and saute it with the onion and garlic and add it to the beef. I also regularly change up the beans too. This recipe in the photo I added a 4 bean mix, instead of chick peas, since Hubby hates chick peas. This chili recipe can feed us for at least 3 meals. I freeze left overs in 2 containers.

Toppings: This is the fun part. So many options! These are my favorite, but any more ideas are appreciated...
-Sour Cream
-Shredded cheese (I used cheddar and mozza)
-Diced green onion
-Avocado slices
-Tortilla chips

Biscuit recipe: I used the recipe from here. I half this recipe for just me and Hubby. Lots of left over biscuits are not so good.

1 comments:

leahandmichael September 30, 2010 at 12:51 AM  

o yum!! it is def getting cold enough and rainy enough here (ugh) to start pulling out the crock pot and making chili! love! thanks for the recipe, kath :)