My Instagram Feed

Sunday, December 12, 2010

Christmas Paper Pom Poms

My sis-in-law sent me a Christmas card in the form of a paper pom pom last year, made with vintage wrapping papers. It was perfect to hang on the tree. So this year I decided to make some myself, and use them to decorate wrapped gifts. I created a simple PDF, and I'm trying something new by sharing it. You can download for free here. You could also use these for individual tags for addressing gifts, or print onto sticker paper, creating labels, and use instead of tape.


Here is what some of the pom poms look like that I did. You can go for a full look, using all 12 designs, like this:





Or make them with less circles, for a simpler look.



Using all 12 makes a nice full complete circle, but I think using less to top a gift makes more sense - you can see the designs better.
 
So...you'll need some:
*card stock, size A4 or 8.5" x 11"
*scissors / circle punch
*hole punch
*ribbon or string
*glue / double sided tape (optional)


1. Print the PDF (which is formatted for size A4, but easily scaled to 8.5" x 11" in your printer settings), and either cut out by hand, or use a circle punch. I'm not lucky enough to have all the cool scrapbooking gadgets, so I cut by hand. The circles are about 57mm or 2-1/4" diameter.

2. Fold each circle in half, right sides together.



3. For gift toppers, hole punch a hole just above the fold line in the center of the circle. You don't want to cut the crease, or the ribbon will not thread through the circles.



4. Optional: (You don't have to do this, but it makes a nice sturdy pom pom.) Glue the wrong sides together with the other circles. I used mod podge applied with a paintbrush, since it's nice and thick, and won't make your paper warp like other glues. You could use double sided tape too.

5. Thread your ribbon through the hole punches, and tie onto your gift.



Options:
To make a hanging decoration, be sure to glue or tape the circles together, and also sandwich some string in between the paper circles. There is also no need to punch holes in the paper circles.

Here is another tutorial with downloads, and ideas for gift wrapping.

1 comments:

Sharon December 15, 2010 at 10:02 PM  

Oh These are so beautiful.