My Instagram Feed

Friday, December 24, 2010

Sugar Cookies


I had SO much FUN doing these.














 I used this book, and have officially changed to this sugar cookie recipe too. Tastes good, and once baked doesn't crumble as easily as the Betty Crocker recipe I used to use.



I baked a regular batch, and a chocolate batch, and used only a handful of cookie cutters. I've realized it's best to underestimate your baking skills.



It took me 8 hours to mix, bake and decorate these cookies.



Also, GET SQUEEZE BOTTLES! Piping bags are so messy when it comes to decorating with royal icing, especially when you need to flood the cookies. I had 4 on hand, but another 4 would have been perfect.



You really need to do some planning, and thinking. Which colours to use together, which ones need to be watered down, which ones should keep thick to pipe designs, etc. If I had more squeeze bottles, I could have had a piping and flooding version of each colour.



The techniques in the book are easy to follow and easy to achieve, so give it a try!




6 comments:

dot December 24, 2010 at 3:27 AM  

Kath- I think I have finally figured out how to sign in! seems like my comments don't show up cuz there is no longer a place for "anonymous"! Anyhow- I love the cookies!! So fancy - I have made nothing fancy & am out of time now!! company is here & more arriving tomorrow!!! Thanks for showing us!

Heidi December 25, 2010 at 3:59 AM  

Oh my goodness -- they're stunning.

Sharon December 28, 2010 at 12:02 AM  

They really need to be framed and not eaten. They are a work of art..
At least you know how to bribe Cooper now...
They just don't look good, they are also delicious.

PAUL WEIMER January 6, 2011 at 1:53 PM  

yet another reason why you should have been here for the holidays

Jamie January 19, 2011 at 6:21 PM  

These remind me of ones The Hyper Homemaker made a few years ago.

What do you mean by piping bottle?

Unknown January 21, 2011 at 6:43 PM  

Hey Jamie, here is a link to a photo of some examples of the squeeze bottles I used for piping. http://grinandbakeit.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/08/squeeze-bottles.jpg
Seriously, so much easier! I love them.