My Instagram Feed

Friday, April 17, 2009

All Forms of Art

Wow. As Adam said to me this afternoon, "condescension must be an art form". I agree. It doesn't seem to be something you can learn, you have to be born with it in your soul, because try as I might, I can't do justice to the jerk I saw today. What a...JERK. Good thing today I was in a good mood, and good thing I am fairly optimistic, and good thing Adam was there so I had someone to secretively roll eyes at.

Today was my 13 week appointment. The doctor I saw this time was a complete douchebag! He tells me, as best as I can remember "well, if you think you're ankle will be anything like it was before you broke it, you better forget that idea". And didn't stop there. He felt he needed at least three (from memory) sentences to explain this to me. Wow, what nice way to break the news to someone. Someone who until now has never been told they will not have all use out of their ankle again.

Like I said, good thing I was in a good mood today.

I had a split second where all the blood rushed to my head, and I felt like bursting into tears, but then thought better of it. And also realized what a troll he was being to begin with, and he's probably just mad at the world, and it's being taken out on me. So good thing I can play ball too, and I just smiled and nodded saying, "ok, I see" as often as needed.

I don't believe him anyhow. I'm not in denial. I expect pain, discomfort and swelling for a long time to come, probably for the rest of my life, but you'll have to kill me first before I give up on rehab. I've been there before with my back injury, being told I would never again be able to snowboard, and do other sports. Well, it took a few years, but I was back at it. I'm good at physio - I actually do the exercises, and I have no doubt that things will be fine sooner or later. I am choosing to believe this doctor had other problems he was dealing with which made him so completely rude and insulting.

I decided to push it a little further, and actually ask a few questions. All I get is grunts and condescention again. Hello, you're the freaking DOCTOR, WHY do you think I am asking YOU!!!!!!!!???? Because I know everything about bone growth & breaks? Ug, some people. In my 29 years on earth I've finally learned that people are jerks because someone was a jerk to them. They are rude and obnoxious because of something that's wrong in them, not me. Try not to take it personally (and I tend to take things personally).

All I can say is thank goodness I was in a good mood today.

Phew, after all was said and done, I have finally been booked in for surgery! They will be calling me within the next few weeks to get these blasted screws out. Then the real work can begin, but I am excited....

0 comments: