My Instagram Feed

Wednesday, September 9, 2009

Christmas Wreath Cookies

These looked SO fabulous in the book. See?


Tasted a little less so, but are still quite nice...(ie. I don't think there will be any left around long enough to make it to the garbage). I found them to be a little too crumbly. But I am a sucker for anything chocolate or lemon when it comes to desserts. I love the lemon icing, and if it were not for that, these cookies would be pretty boring. But they were fun to make, and the strong lemon flavour does make the bland cookie work. I would like a less crumbly cookie though...

ingredients:
3 cups self raising flour
125g butter
1/4 cup milk
2/3 cup caster sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla
2 eggs

icing:
3 cups icing sugar
2 tablespoons lemon juice
-heat icing in a double boiler until pourable- (which I did not do, and just realized that right now, so no wonder my icing was so thick, even though I added another 3 tbsp of lemon juice! DUH!)

method:
1. Rub butter into flour.
2. Combine milk and sugar in saucepan and stir over low heat until the sugar has dissolved. Add extract and cool for 5 minutes.
3. Combine flour, milk mixture and eggs together and knead until smooth.
4. Roll balls of dough into 13cm long pieces. Twist two pieces together to form a wreath.
5. Place wreathes on baking paper lined cookie sheets, and bake for about 15 minutes in a 350°F / 180°C oven (160°C fan-forced)
6. Drizzle lemon icing onto cookies and set at room temperature.

This is another recipe from Women's Weekly cupcakes cheesecakes cookies recipe book.

0 comments: