My Instagram Feed

Friday, September 18, 2009

Wagon Wheels


This is another recipe from Women's Weekly cupcakes cheesecakes cookies recipe book. I'm all about this book right now.


Ingredients:
125g butter, softened
3/4 cup brown sugar, packed
1 egg
1 1/2 cups flour
1/4 cup cup self raising flour
1/4 cup cocoa powder

marshmallows
jam (raspberry, strawberry, blackberry, whatever...)
375g semi-sweet chocolate chips
1 tbsp vegetable oil

Method:
1. Beat together butter, sugar and egg. Sift in flour and cocoa, and stir until uniform.
2. Roll out dough to 3mm thick between sheets of baking paper, and refrigerate for 1/2 hour.
3. Preheat oven to 180°C (160°C fan-forced) or 350°F, and line sheets with baking paper
4. Cut rounds from dough. I used a small cup (about 7cm across, which was the same size the book calls for) since I didn't have a round cookie cutter, but I think these ended up being too big. Next time I will use a much smaller cookie cutters.
5. Bake for 12 minutes, and cool on racks.
6. Cut marshmallows unto smaller pieces (or use mini marshmallows), and place onto bottom side of half the cookies you baked. Bake for a further 2 minutes to soften the marshmallows, but watch them to make sure they don't burn.


7. Spread jam onto the other half of the cookies, bottom side up, and press together with the marshmallow side of the other cookies.


8. Melt chocolate in a double boiler and possibly add some vegetable oil to keep chocolate spreadable. I might try these next time without adding oil, as I found the chocolate didn't ever set, and so you always have chocolate on your fingers when you eat one.
9. Coat the cookies with chocolate. Now, do this however you see fit, as it makes quite a mess. The book says to dip into a bowl of chocolate, but I didn't see how that would be all that neat. I laid all the cookies down on baking paper on a cookie sheet, and spread spoonfuls of chocolate on one side, trying to coat the edges as well. I then laid a sheet of baking paper overtop of the chcolate, and then rested another cookie sheet ontop. Then I flipped the whole thing over, and coated what used to be the bottom of the sandwiches with chocolate. I let them set in the fridge, and then froze them. I guess using your fingers and dipping them into a bowl might work...seemed to slippery for me...

Love Hubby's grease coated hands, dirty fingernail shot! I didn't even notice when I took the photo!

2 comments:

Judy September 23, 2009 at 1:04 AM  

Now those look much more tempting then the wagon wheels that come in a box from the store! Good job.