My Instagram Feed

Thursday, September 24, 2009

Dust Storm

Whew, it's dusty! You can't even see Mt. Coolum!


I was having a little trouble breathing, not terrible, but not all that comfortable. I am still just trying not to cough, since when it starts, it won't end. And I need to renew my asthma inhaler too. It ran out after this little freak storm (supposedly there hasn't been one like this in 50 years). Here are a few photos, some 'before' and 'after' shots ...



The whole house was open, since it was quite hot that day, but we did close everything up after it hit us. You could see it coming, slowly, for hours. I was busy sewing, and didn't notice it right away, so we got plenty inside. It wasn't blowing either. It was very calm and still; very eerie. I suddenly noticed I could taste and smell it, and so I went to sit and relax, since I didn't want an asthma attack or something. It got quite hard to breathe for a while, and we shut all the windows and doors, and Adam went around the house spraying water from a spray bottle to try and capture the particles and get them out of the air. That kind of did seem to help. Then, once I knew I wasn't going to get worse, I mopped the freshly mopped from the day before floor, and it was so gross! Within hours you could feel that I had to do it again. I still need to go dust and wipe everything down yet. Luckily, I didn't have laundry out! We've had some really dusty days in the past, with some wind bringing us all the "top soil" (red dust) from the outback, but nothing like this, where the air was saturated by particles so small, you couldn't see them.

And this is what our floor turned into! I even mopped the day before the storm hit! And I still need another pass at it, it feels so gritty. There is also dust residue on everything. And of course, our apartment is entirely white. Lucky me.


4 comments:

A Joyful Chaos September 25, 2009 at 1:45 AM  

You poor thing! it is so frustrating having to constantly be trying to keep something clean.Do you get dust storms often?

Anonymous,  September 25, 2009 at 5:43 AM  

Yuck! It may be awhile till you get that out of everything! I would hate to have had my laundry hanging out! Did you have the windows open?

Mom

Unknown September 25, 2009 at 11:47 AM  

I'm going to add a little more to my post...

Judy September 25, 2009 at 3:09 PM  

We saw the storm on the news the other day. There wasn't actually much to be seen through the blowing sand. Hope you can clear all the grit!