My Instagram Feed

Tuesday, February 24, 2009

A Guilt Free Guide to Getting Rid of Your House Plants

Being mainly confined to bed for the last 6 weeks has its ups too.

I am someone who cannot kill a houseplant, no matter how much I hate it. I can't not water them. I have killed before, but by accident. The killing mainly occurs when I need someone else to take care of them...in this case, Adam. He isn't proud of this blog post, but I told him I would defend his honour.

He's been taking care of me, and himself, AND doing ALL the chores, AND working! Not to mention taking me to my million ER and GP visits - I've lost count, but it's over 10 now. It's not like I expect him to be able to look after my plants. There is only one that I have reminded him about, which is my orchid. The rest have all seen better days, and I kind of forgot about them, to be honest. With one, I was looking after it every day, trying to sort out a little pest problem. I can't expect him to do that for me too! So, I never asked him to water anything but the orchid.

This way, I got rid of the ugly plants inside the house, and got to take care of killing off my failing planters on the deck (a soil issue), without feeling guilty! Perfect solution.


This Cane Palm might recover, but I'm not sure. I did a mega pruning back before I slipped into that cursed ditch, and was having a pest problem with scale insects. I cleaned each leaf by hand, took me HOURS, and sprayed with insecticide. But, it may all have been in vain.

You can't even make out what used to be a huge poinsettia, since it probably died in the first few days I was in the hospital, and now only twigs remain. There are a few others on the deck, awaiting their burial too.

As a recovery gift, I get new plants to replace the ones killed. I am so excited to start from scratch!

1 comments:

Judy February 25, 2009 at 3:46 PM  

It's good to make a fresh start with plants every once in awhile...and you have a good excuse!