My Instagram Feed

Saturday, August 1, 2009

Chicken Vegetable Soup

I've never actually made soup before. I tried once. It ended up being risotto, which was ok, but I wanted soup. I tried again recently, and it worked (ie. I didn't add 1 cup of rice!). I made it up as I went along, but really, how complicated can a vegetable soup be? This turned out so well, I will definitely do it again. It was so flavourful, which surprised me. I didn't think I could out-do Campbell's.

Ingredients:
Vegetable stock (1 litre)
Onion, white
Corn, canned
Celery
Carrot
Brocoli
Potato
Chicken (I used shredded pieces from a hot BBQ chicken that you can get from the deli in a grocery store)
Soup Pasta (I used the cute alphabet ones)
Salt
Pepper
Garlic (I used garlic powder)
Red Chili powder
(you could also add a can of diced tomato too, which could be nice)

Method:
Chop up all veggies and add to stock; cook over high heat. Add shredded chicken and soup pasta about 5-10 minutes before soup is done. I made some pre-mix biscuits too with some shredded cheese added to the dough. They were so delicious!

Sorry about the crappy photos. I hate the flash, and the sun sets here by 6pm, so dinner is never during daylight here...

2 comments:

Bev August 5, 2009 at 4:45 AM  

Without seeing your blog, I made chicken soup for supper yesterday. Up north soup is a food for cold days; here where it's almost always hot, soup is welcome any time. My soup was delicious! It included chicken thighs cooked with sliced onion & a heaping tablespoon of Knorr chicken consome (boullion powder). Then I added potato chunks, carrots cubed, about 1/2 lg bell pepper diced, zucchini cubed, crushed red chili, sliced cabbage. I usually add celery, too, but didn't have any handy. Have fun cooking!

Unknown August 5, 2009 at 12:48 PM  

Yummmm! Lately, I've been loving zucchini & cabbage. I'll have to make another batch soon with some different veggies.