My Instagram Feed

Sunday, May 24, 2009

Meatloaf

Ok, I know no one really wants to see photos of meatloaf, let alone get a recipe for it, but Hubby & I LOVE it. It's the meal he chooses when I offer to make him something special. I'm serious. We've had it for Valentine's Day and Christmas. The in-laws really seem to like this recipe too. Though it's not really much of a recipe, as I kind of make it up as I go. I got the basics from my mom, who's taught me well to not rely on recipes so much as taste, or texture. And I think her memory is much better than mine, thus recipes written on cards are not needed for a few of the favorites from back home.

So, thought I would share one of our favorite, special meals :)


Ingredients:
fresh ground beef
chopped onion(s)
minced garlic
salt
pepper
soggy bread
worsch. sauce
tomato soup, condensed

Method:
1. Preheat oven to 350˚F /180˚C
2. Chop onion(s) and garlic and put in large bowl
3. Get 2-3 (or 4, depending on how large your mixture is) pieces of bread, and moisten until soggy under water. Squeeze out excess, and work in your hands until there are no large lumps. Add to bowl.
4. Add ground beef & sprinkle with salt and pepper. Add 1 tbsp (or 2 or 3...) of Worsch. sauce.
5. Mix up ingredients until combined. I use my hands, so I can make sure there are no bread lumps (I have a fear of soggy things that aren't meant to be soggy), and it's easier to use your hands anyhow...
6. Add some tomato soup until the mixture is smooth (I guess at this too...maybe 1/2 can per 1/2 kg of meat? Who knows).
7. Bake for about 1 to 1.5 hours, possibly more, depending on the size of your recipe. I put the mixture into a Corningware casserole dish, and it's not so much a loaf, as a pile of flavoured meat. Yeah, real appetizing hey?

But with some mashed potatoes, steamed broccoli & fresh corn on the cob...maybe some garlic bread, or fresh buns, and you have a hearty meal!

Tips:
*I learned that onions can make the meat still look pink, long after it's been cooked. Supposedly celery can do this too. So, sometimes the meat can have a pinkish hue, though it's been cooked through.
*You can use ketchup too, instead of soup. I've also used condensed vegetable soup as a substitute, and it was LOVELY! I'd say you could add some grated carrot (or other veggies) to this recipe, and get a few more nutrients into the thing.
*When I make this up for us, I usually have 1/2 a can of left over soup, which I freeze for next time.

0 comments: