My Instagram Feed

Friday, May 8, 2009

Pizza!

Who doesn't love pizza? This is a favorite around here, and just so easy. A little more effort than store bought, but tastes SO MUCH BETTER! (I posted this on my other blog, for those who might think this looks familiar)

Pizza Dough


1 cup warm water
1 package active dry yeast (7-8g ?)
2 1/2 cups to 3 cups all-purpose flour (plain flour)
2 tablespoons olive oil
1/2 teaspoon salt

Combine water, yeast and 1 1/2 cups of flour in a bowl. Mix well.

Add oil, salt and the rest of the flour (added gradually). Mix until the dough holds its shape.

Add other ingredients as desired i.e grated parmesan cheese, herbs, cracked black pepper, etc.

Place dough on a lightly floured surface and knead until smooth and elastic, about 5 minutes. If dough becomes sticky, sprinkle a bit more flour over it. (I mix the dough in my Kitchenaid; it's easier and it seems to be a little stickier, but bakes just the same).

Transfer the dough to a lightly oiled 2-quart bowl. Cover with plastic wrap or kitchen towel. Let the dough rest until doubled in size, about 1 hour.

When the dough has risen place on a lightly floured surface, divide into two or more parts and roll them into balls if you want two thin crusts, and cover with a towel and let rest 15 minutes. Otherwise, shape into single crust, top, bake, then eat!! (I find I get 3 nice thin crusts from one batch).

I bake for about 20 mins in 180 (350) degree oven.

Here's a tip: If you are using a pizza stone, be sure to shape dough onto a floured surface (I use corn meal, because it works way better) so you can transfer the base onto the hot pizza stone easily. I usually shape the dough onto a wooden cutting board, so it doesn't stick as much, and then slide the base onto the hot pizza stone. I put most the ingredients on the base first, transfer the base to the stone, and then add the cheese once the base is on the stone. Otherwise, in the transferring process, you can end up with a lop sided pizza.

This one is a BBQ meat pizza. A BBQ tomato sauce, onion, red pepper, bacon, pepperoni & ham, with mixed cheese, and my fav, pineapple:



This one I made as an appetizer. Diced green onion, italian herbs, pepper, garlic & a bit of salt (or garlic salt) with mixed cheese:

1 comments:

Judy May 11, 2009 at 12:01 AM  

Your pizza's look mouth-watering, Kathryn! Why do I feel like having pizza for breakfast today?