My Instagram Feed

Monday, June 1, 2009

More Cupcakes

This past weekend was a birthday party / going away party for my sis-in-law. I offered to make some cupcakes, and had lots of fun trying new flavours, and getting a bit more practice in with the new decorating tips. My only problem is not having the tupperware to transport these cupcakes (but I found this, and want one so bad!). The party was in Brisbane. The cupcakes were up on the Sunshine Coast. A few containers fell over while driving, but only one lot got noticably smushed. I didn't take photos of those :)

But I think they were a hit. I had lots of nice compliments. But I made WAY too many. WAY TOO MANY. I didn't know how many people were coming, and when I asked about making 36 cupcakes, it didn't seem like that was going to cut it. So I made 50 something. 36 would have been more than enough. My sister learned a similar lesson a few weeks ago too. She made a wedding cake and dessert for about 200 or so people. The kitchen staff was less than competent, and didn't serve the cakes until guests had already started to leave the reception. Less than half actually had cake, so all her hard work and hours went to waste. Pretty disappointing. No one likes that many left overs. You look like an idiot. I was practically begging people to take cupcakes home, and take as many as they wanted. I learned my lesson: Get a half decent estimate of guests who are coming, and divide...

Lemon Cream Cheese: yellow dyed lemon & cream cheese flavoured buttercream icing with a large crystal clear sanding sugar dusing. Round decorating tip.

Chocolate Chip Mint: green dyed, and mint flavoured buttercream icing with chocolate chips, or chocolate buttons on top. Closed star decorating tip.

Strawberry: pink dyed, and strawberry flavoured buttercream icing dusted with small red crystal sanding sugar with a strawberry candy on top. Closed star decorating tip.

Mocha: coffee flavoured buttercream icing on chocolate cake, dusted with cocoa, and a chocolate button topper. Round decorating tip.

If you noticed, I used my new chocolate molds and made some chocolate buttons as toppers. I didn't have enough time to make buttons for all the mint cupcakes, but they sure looked cute as toppers on the mocha cupcakes. And, I used the same recipe for the white cake & buttercream as I did last week, here. Chocolate cake recipe from here. Cream cheese icing recipe from here, but made in a smaller batch, and I added lemon flavouring.

3 comments:

Anonymous,  June 2, 2009 at 2:36 AM  

mmmmmmm....they look fantastic! Maybe someday I will try something like that. Seems like we are at an age or hang around ppl who shun such delectables these days! (like all the women friends I know who refuse to eat anything sweet in public but behind the scenes??) but I think Dad would love one of those cupcakes!!!(& so would I!) Mom

leahandmichael June 2, 2009 at 3:24 AM  

i really like the holder for the cupcakes! i'd ask you where you got it but a.) it looks like a wicked vintage find and b.) you live in australia.

i get i'll just have to be on the lookout here ;)

Unknown June 2, 2009 at 9:26 PM  

yeah, no one wants to admit they eat McDonalds either!

and Leah, I know I already replied to you, but yes, I think that was a vintage cupcake stand from a thrift store...somewhere in Oz...